Tuesday, May 24, 2011

An Abandoned Blog!!!

It seems that I have all but abandoned my blog.  But you know what, sometimes life gets in the way of the things you have good intentions of doing! 

I have been very busy in my greenhouse and garden.  I raised over 400 tomato plants!  Some green, red, yellow, purple and chocolate peppers, jalapenos, haberneros, banana peppers, eggplant, etc....

My garden has done so well this year!  I had tons of the most beautiful radishes and I don't even like radishes very much, but these were not too hot and were so good in salads with my black seeded simpson lettuce and spinach, fresh from the garden with tiny green onions, also from the garden!  I have 92 tomato plants in the ground and a couple of them even have some teeny, tiny tomatoes on them!  I can't wait for that first tomato sandwich!

Now on to the crafts!  I am still making my tags for the year long tag-a-long!!!!!  I haven't taken any pictures of them yet, but I will get to that and get them posted!
I have been doing a lot of sewing!  I have made two bathing suits, and while I will post a photo of them, it won't be of me in them!  I am very modest, which is why I made my own bathing suits, they cover everything that needs covering!  I have also made 3 skirts and a dress, again, I have taken no pictures but hopefully by posting today it will give me the kick in the butt I need to get photos taken!

Some very exciting news is that my niece Rebecca has started sewing!!!  She just turned 23 yesterday.  I gave her some basic instructions with an apron last year and she has taken the ball and ran with it!!!  She has made aprons, skirts, tops and dresses!  You can find her blog here Rebeccas Blog .

So today I am posting a recipe and photo of the cutest little cookbook I got at an estate sale this weekend.  It's just a small booklet by Ideals but the photos are so pretty and they have really good recipes!  I have already made this one.


Baked Beans

2 lbs navy beans
1 teaspoon soda
1 onion
3/4 salt pork
3 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
3/4 cup molasses

Soak the beans overnight and parboil with the soda in the morning for about 15 minutes.  Rinse in cold water.  Cut the salt pork in small pieces and place about half of the pork on the bottom of a bean pot. (luckily I have my husband's grandmother's bean pot!).  Place half of the beans in the pot, then the onion ( I sliced my onion), the rest of the beans and the balance of the pork.  Mix the seasonings with enough hot water to cover the beans.  Bake for 6-7 hours (I only baked mine 2 hours and they were more than done) at 300 degrees, adding water when necessary to keep the beans moist.

My Kitchen
(Caroline S. kotowicz)
This is my kitchen where meals I prepare,
Well seasoned in old fashioned brown earthenware;
My daily haven of joy and bliss,
Where everyday toil finds happiness.
This is my kitchen of honey and spice
Here in my cupboards stand glassware and rice.
This is where duty sways with the sun,
And laughter is shared by everyone.
This is my kitchen where abundant love
is in accord with the Master above,
Where neighborly spirit seems to abide
And a hearty greeting invites you inside.

Blessings!

Linda

3 comments:

BucksCountyFolkArt said...

That's great your niece started so early. At 41, I hope to learn from my mom this summer!

Mountain Mama said...

That's a lot of tomatoes!!! I hope you like salsa too. LOL
It has been cool and rainy here so gardens are slow again this year. At least the seeds I planted are up except the corn, but it has sprouted so a few more days and I will be seeing it too.

I enjoy cookbooks too but don't use them much anymore.
I understand about not having much time for blogging when it's gardening season. That takes a LOT of time and energy.

Missouri Gal said...

I'd be in my greenhouse too if I had one! Thanks for the recipe and poem. Have a wonderful afternoon!
Nicole