Monday, February 10, 2014

Vintage Recipe Monday- Broken Glass Salad

Good Monday morning!  Hope everyone had a great weekend.  I got a lot of cleaning done and quite a bit of sewing, some which I will share later in the week.

This weeks Vintage Recipe is one that was handwritten in an old photo album that someone stuffed recipes into.  Of course, I put it away without taking a photo of it, but they are my favorite kind.  I seek them out at estate sales.

Apparently, Broken Glass salad was very popular in the 1940's and 1950's.  It really is beautiful and very tasty.  It does take at least 24 hours to make, so plan ahead!

Broken Glass Salad
 
1 small package of four flavors of Jello.  I used cherry, lime, lemon and orange.
Dissolve each package of Jello with 1 cup of boiling water.  Put into 4 separate, somewhat flat containers and chill until firm.
 
1- 14 oz. Sweetened condensed milk
2 envelopes of unflavored gelatin.
 
Remove the 4 different Jello's from the fridge and cut each into 1" blocks.  Mix all of your colors of blocks and put into a 9x13 pan.
 
Sprinkle the 2 envelopes of unflavored gelatin into a 1/2 cup of cold water and once the jello has started to bloom, add 1 1/2 cups of boiling water.  Stir and cool slightly.  Add your sweetened condensed milk and stir.  Pour this mixture over the colored Jello in the pan making sure you get it into all the nooks and crannies.
 
Put in the refrigerator and chill overnight.  Cut into square and serve in your nicest crystal bowl. 
 
I think this would be really cool using just red and blue Jello for the 4th of July.
 
We are looking at possibly getting some substantial snow on Wednesday.  I do not like snow and am doing my "Go Away" snow dance to try and ward it off!
 
Hope you have a great week!
 
Linda


6 comments:

Createology said...

I think my mother used to make this salad. Thank you for sharing the recipe. Also thank you for visiting my blog. Creative Bliss...

Musings from Kim K. said...

I love the idea of making this salad for the 4th of July. It's very very pretty. Good luck with that go-away snow dance. It's been quite a winter. We've only had 11 days without snow since December 1st. We're used to snow in MI, but most people are really over it now. I'm starting to believe we really will have our ice rink well into March at this rate.

Lil Raggedy Angie said...

How interesting and pretty too...enjoy your day hugs lil raggedy Angie

Elizabeth Jack said...

I have never heard of this salad before, but it's so pretty! I am sure it tastes great. I will most definitely have to try this sometime! : )

vintage grey said...

Oh, I have always wanted to make something like this! So fun! Thanks for sharing and wishing you a lovely week! xo Heather

Erica of Golden Egg Vintage said...

Broken Glass Salad! Who would have though??? I love it! And I like the idea of a 4th of July version! Need to share this with my sister in law!
Thank you!
Erica :)