Saturday, April 05, 2008

Butterscotch-Apple Cake

Last week I came across a website called noblepig.com. She has a very funny style of writing and the recipes looked delicious. So I decided to give this one a try and am I ever glad I did. I'm not a big cake girl, but I loved this one as did dear husband and son. Below is the recipe, but head over to the noblepig for a very entertaining and beautifully photographed version of this recipe.

Butterscotch-Apple Cake
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups finely chopped apples (I used Gala)
1 cup chopped pecans (I used walnuts)
1 cup butterscotch morsels
Garnish: caramel sauce and whipped cream

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large mixing bowl, mix together oil and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Add flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon, beat well.

Let me stop right here to tell you that this mixture was too stiff for my poor cheap mixer. If you have a heavy duty stand mixer you will probably be ok, the batter looks nothing like cake batter, more like a stiff cookie dough. But keep on going, it will turn out ok!

Stir in vanilla, apples, and pecans. Mixture will be thick. (She's not kidding!).

Spread mixture evenly in a greased 9x13 baking pan. Sprinkle butterscotch chips over top. Bake 55 minutes.

Cool completely in pan. Garnish with caramel sauce and whipped cream (I didn't have either and it was great just plain.)
I had a big piece of this cake, with a glass of cold milk, I curled up in my favorite chair with my favorite mystery book and I was in heaven!

Yngwie had band practice today, so I headed down on the city market, to check out the spring plants. I ended up buying two yellow oriental poppies and some english daisies that I have now planted around my pond.







Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!
Blessings
Linda

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kelli said...

YUM! What a yummy sounding cake, I'm printing out the recipe! Your flowers are very pretty, I don't think we have those varieties here in Texas.
Hugs,
Kelli

nancy said...

The cake sounds really good. And it sounds like something my family would really go for. Thanks for the recipe. More pretty flowers. Your place is going to be stunning this year!
Nancy

Bovey Belle said...

That looks a lovely recipe, and I can see myself making that in the future. Love the flowers, especially the English daisies, although I think we call them something different!

Janice said...

Does that cake EVER sound good!! I will try it soon! The combination of butterscotch and apples sounds delicious! Love your flowers, especially the English Daisies! Happy April!
Blessings,
Janice