Thursday, November 20, 2008

A Thanksgiving Alphabet

T -Turkeys, tablespreads, being together
H - Happiness and homes to protect us from all weather
A - Aunts and Uncles, a reunion in Fall
N - Nieces and Nephews, family members all!
K - Kind hearted kin coming over for dinner,
S - Surely you'll have fun, but you won't get thinner!
G - Gourds and pumpkins, mouths open wide.
I - Indians and Pilgrims we remember with pride.
V - Very special times-there could even be snow
I - Imagine what it was like at Plymouth long ago.
N - Never forget how the settlers led the way,
G - Giving thanks and blessing this special day.
author unknown.

I am going to start my Thanksgiving grocery shopping this week. Here is our unchanging Thanksgiving Menu.

Turkey
Dressing
Gravy
Mashed Potatoes
Broccoli Casserole
Corn Pudding
Macaroni and Cheese
Green Beans
Deviled Eggs
Stuffed Celery and Olive plate
Homemade pickles
Beet Pickles
Homemade Yeast Rolls
Pumpkin Pie
Pecan Pie
Applesauce Cake
Coffee
Tea
Wassail

We will also have as a snack a dip we always just called Grandma's Homemade Dip and Bugles.

Take one 8oz. block of softened cream cheese and mix with a tablespoon of very finely minced onions, about a tablespoon of mayonnaise, and a dash of worcestershire sauce. Mix well and chill at least an hour before serving so the flavors will meld. Serve these with "Bugles" if you can find them. If not, Fritos make an ok substitution.

Click over to http://kellishouse.blogspot.com and check out her Thanksgiving Blessings Post.

Hope everyone has a great day!

17 comments:

Linda C said...

I love the Norman Rockwell picture! Great post and your menu sounds delicious:)
Linda C

Lora @ my blessed life said...

Your menu looks delicious! And that dip recipe sounds very good, too--I love Bugles:)

Jules said...

You've brought back a memory for me. I had forgotten, but my Grandmother always had a dip she served with bugles! Thanks for sharing.

GlorV1 said...

Everything looks like it will be ready for Thanksgiving. I love your pictures. Have a great Thursday.

Ribbonwood Cottage said...

What a clever idea. I like this and I like the Rockwell picture it is wonderful!
Blessings,
Debbie

Susie Homemaker said...

Great post...all sounds wonderful!

Blessings,
Susie

Wanita said...

I love your Thanksgiving alphabet. And your menu sounds delicious.

Blessings,
Wanita

Alice said...

Can I just skip cooking my Thanksgiving dinner and come to yours? :) Everything sounds delicious. The little poem is so sweet; what a pity the author is unknown.

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

What a great little poem...Hope you have a wonderful week getting ready for Thanksgiving. Thanks for stopping by.

Mountain Mama said...

I like the Thanksgiving Alphabet.
Your meny sounds like a lot of work. I sure hope you will have some help. I used to cook like that but not anymore. We have Holiday dinnes at my daughters homes. And we all bring part of the meal making it easier on our hostess. This year I am making sweet Potato Surprise and pumpkin pie. I will be bringing crnberries and olives as well.
We will be having a wedding after dinner so it will be a very special day.
I hope your's is special too.

Jenn said...

What a wonderful post, and I LOVE the NR picture also!

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

Nice Thanksgiving Alphabet! Your menu sounds like a real feast!!

I haven't seen Bugles in years!

Katherine

Mama Said Sew said...

That's quite a menu! Wish I was coming to your house for Thanksgiving. :)

Arlene G said...

Love the poem...I got my shopping done yesterday, now to get busy cleaning and ironing tablecloths too.

Kelli said...

Lovely Thanksgiving post, Linda! Your menu looks delicious and I hope you have a blessed Thanksgiving with your family!
~Kelli

nancy said...

YOur Thanksgiving dinner menu sounds very good. I hope you all have a wonderful time. Blessings on your family, Linda. It's been a rough year.
Nancy

Jeanne said...

Linda, this is the most delightful post. Your menu is awesome. We are going to our son's home for Thanksgiving. I love that.

I stopped by to wish you and your family a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Blessings...Jeanne