Friday, November 20, 2009

Still Mixing !

I find that I am looking through cookbooks specifically for recipes that can be used with my new mixer!

Wednesday was a cold and rainy day and I thought it was perfect weather for chili beans and corn bread.


So I pulled out the 1951 Recipes of Old Virginia cookbook and looked for a cornbread recipe. The one that I thought sounded good, different, but more importantly one I could use my mixer with was Dixie Corn Bread Waffles. They were really good and different. You always think of waffles as being sweet, but they taste just like a crisp cornbread. Delicious and definitely a keeper. Serve hot with butter!


Dixie Corn Bread Waffles:

1 1/2 cups cornmeal
3/4 cups of bread flour (I used self rising)
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
2 eggs-separated
4 tbls. melted shortening
1 tea salt
2 tbls sugar (I didn't use this much)

Sift all dry ingredients 2-3 times. Beat egg yolks well. Alternate dry ingredients with milk, folding in melted shortening and egg whites that have been beaten until stiff (where my new kitchenaid came in YAY!). Bake in a preheated waffle iron and serve hot.

Easy peasy!

I have gotten alot of decorating and crafting done this week. Hopefully next week I will have some photos!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
Blessings
Linda

2 comments:

The Old Parsonage said...

Sounds yummy! I keep my mixer on my counter all year. I use it for mashed potatoes, bread, cookies, cakes, you name it.

Enjoy!
Leann

Unknown said...

Yum! I can't wait to try this one. My mixer came on Friday, and we tried the Peanut Butter Cookies in the book that it came with. They were pretty good, but using the mixer really made me feel like a pro.
I Hope you have a Great Thanksgiving!!
Amy