Tuesday, October 19, 2010

More Halloween Fun

Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend! 

Yngwies girlfriend came in from college this weekend and they decided instead of going out to eat that they would fix themselves a "gourmet" dinner at home to save money.  They made Chicken Cordon Bleu, green bean casserole (which I think is vile, but Yngwie loves it!) corn, mashed potatoes, and pineapple upside down cake.  They even dressed up for the occasion. 
Then we all lended a hand in building a "haunted house".  They bought the kit from Wilton and it was very easy and fun to put together.  Yngwie and "Cute Girl" did all the decorating. 
(Yngwie wearing his "redneck" hat and shirt)
Didn't it turn out cute! 
Then it was on to some decorated sugar cookies!

And these are just as delicious as they look.  I use a Cream Cheese Sugar Cookies recipe from an old Southern Living Cookbook.

Cream Cheese Sugar Cookies
1 c. white sugar
1 cup butter
1 (3 oz) pkg cream cheese, softened
1/2 tea salt
1/2 teaspoon almond extract (this is mandatory!)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg yolk
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour

Preheat oven to 350

In a large bowl, combine the sugar, butter, cream cheese, salt, extracts, and egg yolk.  Mix until smooth.  Beat in flour until well blended.  Chill the dough for at least 4 hours
(I cheated and put it in the freezer for one hour)
On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough, a small amount at a time, keeping the rest of the dough refrigerated so it doesn't get sticky.
Cut into desired shapes and place on lightly greased cookie sheet
( I put mine on parchment paper!  I love that stuff!)
Bake for 7-10 minutes until light and golden brown.  Cool and decorate with your favorite frosting.  I used my regular butter cream, but made it stiffer with the addition of more confectioners sugar.

Super busy this week, but I plan on scanning more of those vintage Christmas cards, so be on the lookout!
Hope you have a wonderful day!

Blessings

Linda

(BTW- Yngwie is pronounced Eng-Vey" just so you know! and it's really his nickname)

4 comments:

Val said...

Thank you so much for popping over to my blog for a visit. It always makes my day to see someone new stopping by!

Those sugar cookies look quite yummy. I must admit that most of my cookie output is drop cookies, as the time involved with sugar cookies isn't always condusive to my schedule! But oh, how good they do taste when I make them. Maybe I'll have to roll up my sleeves and make a few for Halloween.

And kudos to the kids on the gingerbread house....I tried a much simplier version a couple times in high school, and oh, was it messy!

Mountain Mama said...

It looks like a lot of fun and brought back some cherished memories of when my children were still at home and did this sort of thing. The haunted house is really cute!

Pam @ Frippery said...

That house is adorable. What a fun evening. Thanks for the recipe. My daughter is the baker in the family so I am turning her loose on those cookies!

Unknown said...

Hi Linda, A very sweet package arrived on my doorstep yesterday! Your tags are so wonderful! I especially love the "E" tag with it's delivery boy. A very favorite image of mine! I will be sure and share these when the swap draws near as well as send you one of my tags. Thank you also for the vintage cards. I don't know how you ever parted with the sweet Valentine. I will be sure it with others. Such unexpected kindness is why I love this creative community. Thank you again, Elizabeth