Sunday, October 07, 2007

Holiday Cooking Blogger Style!

http://overwhelmedwithjoy.blogspot.com/ is hosting a holiday recipe blogger cookbook (well, virtual cookbook!).

Just pull your tried and true recipes out and join the fun! I have been browsing the recipes and I have gained 5 pounds just reading them!

This recipe comes from a local caterer. When I first heard about it I thought "YUCK" but after the first bite I was hooked!

Cheese Slaw
2 cups grated swiss cheese
3/4 c. mayonnaise
3 green onions chopped
4 oz. jalapeno peppers, chopped
4 oz. banana peppers, chopped

Mix all ingredients together and chill. If too firm to spread after chilling add a little more mayo. Serve in a hollowed out cabbage head with crackers.

Aunt Ruth's Orange Salad
1- 9 oz. Cool Whip
1 small container of cottage cheese
1 large pkg of orange jello
1 small can mandarin oranges, drained
1 can crushed pineapple, drained

Mix together the cool whip and cottage cheese, add orange jello and mix well. Stir in pineapple and oranges. I save a few orange slices to decorate the top of the salad. Chill at least 4 hours or overnight.

Dreamsicle Fudge
If you like "dreamsicle" ice cream bars you will love this fudge!
3 c. sugar
1 1/2 sticks of butter (not margarine!)
2/3 c. evaporated milk
1- 7oz. jar marshmallow cream
1 - 12 oz. pkg vanilla chips
3 tea. orange flavoring
orange food coloring

Mix sugar, butter and milk in large saucepan. Boil to softball stage, about 5 minutes stirring constantly. Remove from heat and add marshmallow cream and vanilla chips. Mix well until all is melted and smooth. Remove 1 cup of the mixture and set aside. To the remaining mixture add the orange flavoring and food color, mix well. Pour into a greased 9x113 pan. Pour the reserved mixture over the top and swirl with a knife. Cool completely and cut in squares.

This next recipe came from a Southern Living Magazine probably 15 or 20 years ago.

Santas Hats
Using Santa Face mugs, put 1-2 scoops of vanilla ice cream into each mug. Then pour Sprite over the ice cream. Using the canned whipped cream, squirt on top of the ice cream to make a pointed hat shape. Sprinkle whipped cream with mutil-colored sprinkles.

Happy cooking!

Linda

9 comments:

Lovella said...

Oh I do love that Cottage cheese salad. The others I'll just have to try.
Happy Canadian Thanksgiving Sunday.

Betsy@Thehomeschoolway said...

The fudge sounds yummy!

Betty said...

The recipes sound mouth watering...I will be trying some of them....thanks for visiting with me....Betty

Stephanie said...

Now I have to wipe the drool off my work computer keyboard......
8^)

Stephanie said...

Now I have to wipe the drool off my work computer keyboard......
8^)

Sue said...

Hi, I'm so glad you found my new cooking blog, enjoy those biscuits, they are yummy! And I'm so glad I found your blog, I just love it! I want to join in on the holiday cookbook, do I just check it out at the link you gave? This sounds like such fun, thanks so much! I'll be back!

Deborah said...

Hi Linda ~ I've made the cheese slaw a couple times. We really liked it. I found the recipe in Oh My Stars! - a Roanoke cookbook.

We are expecting 92 here in North Carolina today - a high for us too. I am LONGING for a real Fall!

Have a wonderful day,
Deborah

Vickie said...

I can't wait to try the cottage cheese recipe it sounds yum-a-lishous! Thanks for sharing these wonderful recipes I will be trying them out.

Lori said...

OH yum, yum. I think I may have to copy some or all of these recipes. Thanks for sharing them.