Thursday, March 20, 2008

Spring has Sprung!

Happy first day of Spring everyone! It's sunny but cool here in SW Virginia today and we have high wind warnings, but such is March around here.

I have been listening carefully every night waiting for the first sounds of the "peepers" that come to our little pond to mate. Night before last I thought I heard one and ran outside to see. They are back! I love the trill mating sound that fills the spring air at night, it can lull me asleep in a minute. Last year we had about 20 of the little frogs in our pond, last night I counted only 3. I'm sure the rest are on their way.

I have been getting together my menus and shopping for our Easter celebration Sunday. I will be hosting dinner for about 15 people. We are having Baked Ham, Zesty Meatballs, Potato cheese casserole, broccoli casserole, green beans, cole slaw, deviled eggs, pickled beets, stuffed cerely, homemade rolls, Chocolate "Peeps" cake, and lemon meringue pie. Okay, I am starving just typing that out! We have a tradition in our family that has been going on for at least 4 generations. The week before Easter my grandmother, father, and myself will make beet pickled eggs. This tradion started with my great grandmother. She would take the boiled eggs and put into a pink depression glass cookie jar and pour the liquid from pickled beets over them. Then my grandmother inherited the pink cookie jar and she used it for many years before she passed it on to my Dad. I called him last week and he had just put his eggs in. I haven't inherited the pink jar yet so I bought a green depression glass cookie jar just like it. Mine are in there now and will be brought out for dinner Easter day.
Wishing everyone a Happy Spring

Linda

4 comments:

nancy said...

Oh, LInda your Easter plans sound so wonderful. It is great that you have so many family members around you, and I always love the family traditions you share. My family was so dysfunctional that we had very few traditions. I have tried to rectify that in our family, but we have no "old folks" to be a part of it. I think that makes a huge difference. You are blessed. Praying for you. Ignore my question on forum. you answered it here!
Nancy

Libby said...

Happy Spring!

Andrea said...

It was cooler here in Georgia today too and very windy but the sun was shining bright after a rainy day yesterday.

We are going to my husband's parents Sunday after church to eat an Easter meal with them. Never know how many will be there, possibly up to 43 people but they probably won't all show up. She cooks a big variety of delicious food. I know it has to be very tiring for her to cook so much. She is 70 years old.

Bovey Belle said...

What pretty eggs! I just have my immediate family around me, as we live so far from all the others, but it will be a lovely holiday all the same.