Friday, May 23, 2008

Friday Show and Tell!

This Friday for show and tell I would like to show you some photos of a favorite auction buy!

All these items were in one box lot along with several sets of sterling silver candle holders, a sterling silver tea strainer,( which I kept) and lots of broken sterling silver pieces that I have since scrapped for $120.00. I paid $15.00 for the lot!

This is my favorite items from the lot. This is a sterling silver ladies calling card case. I love all the filligree work on the case and the intials are ALS. They are for Alice Lee Shenk. How do I know that? Because this was inside the case.
Her actual calling card! I was so excited when I saw that card. I hadn't opened the calling card case or the purse before I bought them!
Inside the old leather purse was this old coin purse and
This tiny sterling silver thimble! It is a child sized thimble and it is also engraved with ALS. Also inside the purse was this:
A teeny tiny little silver spoon! I have no idea what such a small spoon would be used for. The lovely lavendar and white hanky belonged to my grandmother.
Hope you enjoyed my show and tell. Thanks for stopping by!
You can see more show and tell over at Kellis House. http://kellishouse.blogspot.com
Have a wonderful and safe holiday week end!
Blessings
Linda

23 comments:

Hootin Anni said...

Mmmmmmmmmm, mmmmmm, mmmm!! I would love the calling card case. So "Victorian"!!

My SnT is bone china cardinals. You'll need to scroll down below the tornado news to view it. Have a wonderful weekend.

Dena said...

Oooooooooooooooooohh!!!! What a lovely stash of treasure you have there! I can't get over that calling card and that tiny spoon is just positively adorable!!! Lucky, lucky you!!!!

Hugs,
Dena

Becki said...

What wonderful things! I love the calling card case too and I agree....the card inside is a treasure.

I've entered you in my drawing for The Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady that I'm giving away at my Fieldlilies Blog. Thanks for visiting.

Anonymous said...

What wonderful buys. I love the calling card holder. Awesome...and your grandmothers hankie is a treasure. I have quite a few from my grandmother. :)
Nice show & tell.

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

I love auctions!!! The silver calling card holder is just beautiful! I've never seen one quite like it! Great post, thanks for sharing! ~Rhonda ;)

Carrie said...

What delightful finds! The price was certainly a thrifter's dream.

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Can I scream too? What a box of treasures...I would be so excited! Thank you for sharing. Thanks too for stopping by and visiting.
Your little spoon is a salt spoon. They used them from the salt cellars before salt shakers. I have a little collection. By the way, since it is original and probably sterling silver...they can be rather pricey for such a little thing.

Susan said...

What a find and such lovely items. I have a tiny little spoon like that from a "mustand jar" that belonger to my grandmother. The jar is very, very old. I must show it!!!
Susan

tamlovesran said...

What wonderful treasures! They're lovely and a wonderful auction find. Do you have a special way of displaying them?

Tammy

Sondra said...

I love the card case. Beautiful! And a bonus that the card was in it.

nancy said...

Linda, how very beautiful it all is.
Nancy

Deborah aka Miss Bee said...

I love the calling card case...very eloquent!

Have you entered my Cottage Charm giveaway?

xoxoxo,
Deborah

Unknown said...

I love it !!! How neat I collect those sorts of things myself.Truly treasures aren't they? Thanks for stopping in my blog as well. Have a great week, Mica

Farrah said...

What wonderful things at a wonderful price! The case is amazing!

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

What sweet treasures! I love the calling cards!! Wat fun! Thanks for sharing,
hugs, Linda

A Hint of Home said...

What great finds you have there. I love that some of the things have initials on them.
Thanks for stopping by my blog. I hope you visit again soon.

Kelli said...

Oooh....I love the calling card case and then to find a card inside...very special! I also love the purse, little thimble and your grandmother's hankie is beautiful!
I hope you are having a great long weekend!
~Kelli

Bovey Belle said...

Didn't you get a bargain?! I love all the special items you showed - especially the little thimble - what memories that must hold. The calling card case looks very Art Nouveau in design. You certainly struck lucky that day!

Mountain Mama said...

YOu found some true treasures. What fun!!
Would the tiny spoon be for salt?

Charlotte said...

I'm a little late, but thanks for visiting my blog. I was in Hawaii at the time, and am trying to get caught up with my blogging.
I love all the items in your Show & Tell. I especially like the calling card case and how wonderful there was a card in it.

Unknown said...

What a find! And that calling card is priceless! Many unique goodies you picked up in that buy. I love the card carrier too!

Littlebit's collections said...

Thoes are very lovely piece. I just love antique things.

Andrea said...

Wow, these are all beautiful