Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Life 1953

In some of my ramblings around estate sales and flea markets, I keep a sharp eye out for old magazines.  I love being able to get a glimpse of what life was like in that era.  This past weekend as I was straightening my library out some, I ran across a Life magazine dated March 16, 1953.  On the cover was Stalin and Malenkov.  This was apparently also their Easter issue, though there is very little mention of Easter in the magazine other than a few ads.
I guess the only thing "Eastery" about this ad is that there is a bunny!  I guess the message is if you eat onions you need Pep-o-mint LifeSavers for fresh breath.  I actually love this illustraion and have saved it for a craft. 

New Mother-Daughter Easter dresses!  This illustration just makes my heart swoon!  I love their matching dresses, the Easter lillies in the background and the somewhat scary bunny on the floor.  I never see ads for fabrics anymore in magazines.  I guess people no longer have an interest in what their clothing is made from.

Judging from the expressions on Dad and Juniors face, these lovely ladies are making them late for church!  (check out Junior's outfit!)  But doesn't their hair look pretty!  It's because they use Woodbury Shampoo!  I wondered what happened to that brand so I went online and did some quick research.  Woodbury Soap was founded in 1870 by a dermatologist.  In the early 1900's they were bought out by Jergens and in 1936 they featured the first naked woman in an ad! 
And last but not least, here is a (delicious?!?!) meal that you could make during the Lenten season.
Tomato sauce with a Kraft Macaroni and Cheese dinner in the center of it, surrounded by deviled eggs!  Yeah, I think I'll pass.  But I do love those bunny salt and pepper shakers!  This was one of only a few recipes in this magazine, but I guess Life wasn't really geared for the average housewife.

Happy Tuesday Everyone!

Linda


2 comments:

★Carol★ said...

Those old magazines are treasure troves for vintage ads and scary recipes! I'm hoping to find lots of them at our flea market this summer, and hopefully they won't smell moldy, which has happened a few times and I can't believe I didn't notice 'til I got home! Love the ad with the Mother/daughter Easter outfits!

Shirley Hatfield said...

Thanks for this great post! You've given me an idea...for a post using Life in 1937. There's a page about the Lost Plane I've been writing about...it's a great issue. Loved the mother/daughter outfits. I always wanted the hat, purse, and little white gloves for Easter.