Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Soft Molasses Cookies

These cookies are my son's very favorite and are on my top five list. (Chocolate chip is number uno!). When these cookies are baking, the smell that wafts through your kitchen will drive your husband and kids crazy! They will be standing in the kitchen, in your way, the entire time these cookies bake and the moment you take them out of the oven, they will grab a glass of milk and some of these warm cookies and plop down at the kitchen table completely contented. You also may need to hide some of these if you plan on eating any, because they disappear very quickly.

Soft Molasses Cookies:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup molasses
2 eggs, lightly beaten
4 cups flour
1/2 tea. salt
2 1/4 tea. baking soda
2 1/4 tea. ground ginger
1 1/2 tea. gound cloves
1 1/2 tea. ground cinnamon
sugar for rolling ball into

In a large bowl, cream together the butter, shortening, and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the molasses and eggs. In another bowl combine flour, salt, baking powder and spices. Blend thoroughly with a wire whisk. Gradually mix flour mixture with the creamed mixture until dough is blended and smooth. Roll dough into balls about the size of a walnut, roll into sugar, and place on greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes. DO NOT OVERBAKE!
Cool on wire rack and store in tightly covered container. I got about 4 dozen, though the recipe says 3 dozen.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Linda

15 comments:

Carole Burant said...

Little did you know the memories these molasses cookies would bring for me...they were my dad's favourite cookies:-) I remember when my mom would be baking them, my dad would do exactly as you mentioned...sit right there waiting for them to come out of the oven so that he could have some!! hehe Thank you so much for sharing your recipe, I must try them!! xoxo

Arlene G said...

I will be trying this recipe...sounds yummy.

Kelli said...

One of my favorite cookies! Thank you for the recipe and of course, I love your cake plate. :0)
~Kelli

A Hint of Home said...

Looks soooo yummy! Thanks for the recipe and for stopping by my blog.

Susie said...

These look yummy :) My later MIL made molasses cookies and they've always been one of Bill's special favorites. Thanks for sharing your recipe!

Libby said...

*mmmmmm* The sound delicious so I can imagine that must taste just heavenly!

Jess said...

these cookies sound delicous!

I will have to try them sometime.

Have a wonderful week, I am just stopping by to catch up...I've been away from the computer for a while...

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

OH MY - that recipe my just be the thing I have been looking for! My husband likes hermits but I have been looking for a cookie recipe with a similiar taste and this might be it! I have to try it soon!!

Anonymous said...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
kristin

American Homemaker said...

I made molasses cookies not too long ago too. It must be the time of year :)

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

I wanted to let you know I just got done making the cookies and indeed they do taste a lot like my DH Hermit bars. These are a keeper. Mine came out a bit different and I'll post a picture of them in the next few days.

Carla said...

We call these syrup cookies-family favorites! Your's look good enough to eat!!

Bovey Belle said...

I made cookies today too - Cornish Fairings. I like the sound of this recipe, so I will get some Molasses and try them (guess I could substitute treacle though . . .)

Sounds like you've been busy in the kitchen recently.

Carole said...

Hello Linda. I found your recipe via Libby. Gosh are they delicious! Had to bake a batch right away! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I baked these cookies today using your recipe. They were yummo! However, is it baking soda or baking powder...you say soda in the ingredients amounts but in the directions the word powder.