Saturday, September 27, 2008

Tablescapes and Recipes

Heidi over at http://foxglovesfabricandfolly.blogspot.com/ is hosting Tablescapes and Recipes. Click on over and view the fantastic decorating and scrumptious recipes.I am a huge Halloween fan so, I always use the pottery Jack o Lantern filled with fall colored stems for my centerpiece. I have had Mr. Jack o Lantern for 28 years now. I got him the first year we were married. I actually don't use placemats for fall. I love the dark, rich look of the mahogany table. The plates are ones I bought several years ago at Wal*Mart of all places! They were on clearance for $1.00 each! The are a beautiful moss green with leaves embossed around the edges. See those red candle sconces? I bought them a couple of weeks ago at a thrift store for .50 each. Instead of putting tapers in the black candle holders, I put the sconces in and love the look. (Please ignore the matches on the table, duh!)
Don't you just love all the colors that the artificial pumpkins come in? I think they add so much to my decor and the best part is that they last forever! Autumn isn't complete in our family until I make this delicious Pumpkin Roll. It is really easy to make, is delicious, and looks spectacular on your dessert table.

Pumpkin Roll:

1/4 cup of powdered sugar (to sprinkle on towel)

3/4 cup of self rising flour

1/2 tea. ground cinnamon

1/2 tea. ground cloves

3 large eggs

1 cup granulated sugar

2/3 cup pure pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)

1- 8oz. cream cheese softened

1 cup powdered sugar

6 tablespoons butter (not margarine) softened

1 tea. vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350. Grease 15 x 10 jelly roll pan, line with waxed paper and grease the wax paper as well. Get a large cotton towel (not terry cloth) and lay flat on counter and sprinkle with 1/4 cup powdered sugar.

Combine flour, cinnamon and cloves in a small bowl and set aside. Beat eggs and granulated sugar in a large mixing bowl until thick. Beat in the pumpkin. Stir in the flour mixture. Spread evenly on the jelly roll pan. Bake for 13-15 minutes. Watch it carefully. Remove from oven when cake springs back at touch. Turn the cake out onto the powdered towel immediately. Carefully peel off the waxed paper. Roll up the cake and towel together, starting with the narrow end. Cool completely on a wire rack.

For filling:

Beat the cream cheese, 1 cup of powdered sugar, butter and vanilla extract until smooth. When cake is completely cool, unroll carefully and spread cake with the cream cheese mixture and reroll cake. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least one hour before serving. Sprinkle with powdered sugar when you serve it.

Delicious!

Linda

16 comments:

threesidesofcrazy said...

What a beautiful table! And that pumpkin roll looks soooooo scrumptious!

GlorV1 said...

That pumpkin roll looks delicious and it seems easy enough. Your table is picture perfect.

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

I would love to sit at that table and be served a slice of the pumpkin roll! What time should I be there?!!

Sue said...

A beautiful tablescape---thanks for visiting. The pumpkin roll sounds scrumptious.


New blogger friend,
Sue

Patti said...

Your tablescape is beautiful! I love the pumpkins. The pumkin roll sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Seeing everyone's tables today has been so much fun and I have a ways to go yet. Yours is so pretty. I had a pottery pumpkin that I bought in Williamsburg at the Pottery Factory years and years ago. I put mums in for Fall and put the candy in it Halloween nite. Last year I broke it. I was heart broken. I bought mums today but not autumnal colors but pink...lol.

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Beautiful centerpiece! And I love pumpkin rolls! I look forward to them each fall! My husband's aunt makes them! Yummy! ~Rhonda :)

Anonymous said...

How funny is that about the Pottery Factory!! P.S. I don't use place mats either ever. :)

Jeanne said...

Linda, your tablescapes are lovely. Did I see a familiar pumpkin in one of those pictures? Smile. When I posted my fireplace mantel some one mentioned they loved my pumpkin man. Do you think Heidi will notice? smiling big.

Hugs, Jeanne

Kathy said...

What a beautiful Fall tablescape! The recipe sounds wonderful too.
Kathy

nancy said...

Linda, How elegant your home looks with the fall decorations! I agree with you on the table -- if you have that beautiful dark wood, it can be very attractive. Love it.
Beautiful presentation on the pumpkin roll!
Nancy

Kelli said...

Your tablescapes are gorgeous and that pumpkin roll is so pretty and I'm sure it is delicious, too!
~Kelli

Jess said...

Your decorations are lovely, and the pumpkin roll sounds delicious!! i might have to make it soon...

hope you have had a great weekend and that you have a wonderful week ahead.

Kimberly said...

I love pumpkin roll! Christmas isn't Christmas without the pumpkin roll my aunt makes every year. Now I'll have to try my hand at it with your recipe!

Heidi said...

Happy Monday Linda, This "pumpkin roll" is just making my mouth water!! :) I must try it & soon!...You have the lovliest blog!...Your Autumn table just looks charming...I love a table that is just spilling forth with beauty & your's is!...Thank you so much for joining me! Wishing you a wonderful week!....Your friend, Heidi XO

A Hint of Home said...

Your table is lovely.
The pumpkin roll sounds delish. Thank you for sharing it with us.