Monday, December 15, 2008

Christmas Cookies!

Yesterday I had the afternoon to myself so I started baking! Both of these cookies were made from John Hadamuscin's Home for Christmas cookbook. If you have never seen one of his cookbooks, check them out! They not only have delicious recipes but the photography is beautiful. Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip
1 stick of butter, softened
1 cup smooth peanut butter
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs, beaten
1 tea. vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour (his recipe says unbleached all purpose flour)
1/2 tea. baking soda
1/4 tea. baking powder
1/2 tea. salt
1/2 c. semisweet miniature chocolate chips. ( I used regular size and probably a cup of them!)

Preheat oven to 375. I covered my baking sheet with parchment. His recipe says lighly grease baking sheet. Which ever will work.

In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and the sugars and peanut butter together until smooth. Then beat in eggs and vanilla. In a separate bowl, sift together the dry ingredients except the chips. Add to the creamed mixutre, then stir in chocolate chips.

Now this is where the recipe is wierd. At the beginning of the recipe it says grease the baking sheets. At the end it says drop by rounded tablespoons onto ungreased baking sheet. So, I guess either will work. Slightly flatten the cookies with a fork making a criss cross pattern. Then bake for 8 minutes. Leave on baking sheet a couple of minutes then remove to wire racks to cool.

Oh my! These cookies are the best of both worlds! Chocolate and peanut butter, how can you go wrong with those!

The next cookie I was a little skeptical about, but it turned out delicious.
Cinnamon Shortbread Cookies:
2 sticks butter, softened
1/2 cup confectioners sugar
1 tea vanilla extract
2 cups all purpose flour (I ran out and used some self rising)
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
confectioners sugar for dusting (I didn't do this)

Preheat oven to 300.

In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and the sugar together until light and fluffy, then beat in the vanilla. In a separte bowl, sift the flour, cinnamon and salt. Beat the dry mixture into the wet mixture to form a soft dough.

Ok, here is where I changes the recipe. This dough is very soft and tender and must be handled delicately. I rolled the dough onto a board covered with confectioners sugar, very thin and cut out the dough with my cookie cutter. I placed each cookie onto the parchment covered cookie sheet, then sprinkled with red or green sparkles. Bake cookies for 10 minutes. Watch them closely! Remove from oven and leave on pan a couple of minutes then remove to wire racks to cool. The original recipe says make 2 8" circles cut into wedges.
Either way, these cookies are so buttery and crisp. YUM!

Hope everyone has a great week! Christmas is almost here!

Linda

15 comments:

Debbie said...

Linda just wanted to say Thanks for all the wonderful gifts you sent me. I finally have them posted. Also your Cookies look so YUMMY!

I'll be over for a cup of coffee and some cookies ok?

Thanks again,

Debxx

GlorV1 said...

Oh those cookies look delish. You did a real good job. Thx for saring and Merry Christmas.

Libby said...

Thank you for sharing these recipes . . . . I have been wanting to make some peanut butter cookies for a while now. Who doesn't get a little excited over those little criss-cross marks on the top *s*

Lady Katherine said...

The cookies look yummy!!! I love the crystal dish in your header.

Twyla and Lindsey said...

Thanks for sharing these recipes. I've been wanting to try making some shortbread so we may try this one. Merry Christmas! Twyla

Twyla and Lindsey said...

Thanks for sharing these recipes. I've been wanting to try making some shortbread so we may try this one. Merry Christmas! Twyla

nancy said...

Linda, I need your address for your Christmas/PIF gift! Don't know why I don't have it in my file?! Please email it to me.
Nancy

Bovey Belle said...

I must get around to making some Christmas cookies - will copy these recipes to try out once I've collected Tam from Uni.

Vanessa Cole said...

Merry Christmas!

I'm back in Blogland with a blog that fits where I am now. Please stop by if you get a chance.

You will find me at "In Search Of."

Vanessa

Jess said...

Hope you have a Very Merry Christmas!

Lots of love, Jess

Back Through Time said...

I hope you have the best Christmas ever!!
Michelle

Jeanne said...

Merry Christmas Linda. Your cookies look so pretty and delicious too. My sisters were over for a big cookie bake last weds. We had so much fun.

I want to send your Merry Christmas greeting to you and your loved ones. Blessings and love...Jeanne

Andrea said...

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Arlette said...

Linda, I'll feast my eyes on your delicious cookies since I haven't made any this season. For some reason, I've been baking nothing but cakes this year.
I would like to wish you and your family a healthy, happy, and safe holiday season.
Mele Kalikimaka and Hauoli Makahiki Hou!
Aloha!

Mountain Mama said...

Oops. I lost the comment I did just befiore this one.
I wanted to say that when I saw your cookies it gave me the idea to make some for my grandkids.
I hope your Christmas was wonderful.