Monday, December 29, 2008

My Awesome Son

I hope everyone had a very merry Christmas! We had a very nice one other than a few family members who had the "crud" and couldn't join the festivities.

I know I have said a million times how awesome my 17 year old son is, but he really is the most thoughtful and compassionte teen I know.

When I was little, I always wanted a Tammy doll. The little girl who lived next door to me had one and I wanted one just like it. Now don't think I was a deprived child. I always got a Barbie or her friend, but never a Tammy.

Imagine my surprise when I unwrapped my gift from my son on Christmas morning and it was a vintage 1965 Tammy Doll! Not only the doll but an original case and about 10 original outfits! Inside the little compartment is some shoes, some hair curlers, some clothes hangers and a tennis racket. It even has the little booklet that came with the doll.

I was totally speechless! He had asked me once around November if there was ever anything I really wanted badly and never got for Christmas and I told him about Tammy.
He went online and found this one on Ebay! Now tell me that isn't the sweetest thing ever!
I spent this past weekend de-Christmasing my house. I have all the trees down except one. I know some people say it's bad luck to take them down before New Years, but in our family the saying is it's bad luck to have them up on New Years, so take your pick!
Hope everyone has a wonderful week!
Linda

11 comments:

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

What a wonderful sweet and thoughtful surprise. I can imagine how moved you were! Enjoy Tammy. Your son is indeed a thoughful young man.

Shakerwood said...

He is one awesome dude! How lucky you are to have him!

GlorV1 said...

You do indeed have a wonderful thoughtful son. That is something that you will carry with you always. How kind and sweet. I'm happy for you. Take care.

Anonymous said...

Aw... What a sweetie! He'll make some girl a fine catch some day! Have fun with your tammy doll!

~ Hearts ~

Arlene G said...

I remember the Tammy dolls too Linda!!! What a sweet boy to do this for his mom.

Mountain Mama said...

What a precious story and what a precious son!! You are blessed.

One of my girls had a Tammy doll back in the
60's. I don't know for certain where it is now but my second daughter still has the Barbi and Skipper with case and clothes that they got back then. Maybe she has the Tammy too.
I can't believe the price people are paying for the vintage Barbi & friends. I never even paid that much for my children!

I'm too wiped out to begin taking Christmas deco's down but hope to after the first.

Hope you and yours have a wonderful New Year.

Twyla and Lindsey said...

What an awesome gift! Thanks to the wonderful people in our lives and ebay our childhood dreams are possible again. Did you read my post about my Beatle lunch box about two weeks ago? That was definitely a dream come true. Of course, your name will be in our drawing! Good luck to you, Linda! Twyla

Carole Burant said...

You do indeed have a very wonderful and thoughtful son! Not many that age would care what a parent wanted, never mind actually going to look for it:-) I wish I could have seen your face when you opened that present!!!

Wishing you and yours all the very best that 2009 has to offer. xoxo

Linda C said...

That is so sweet of your son!

Wow, when I looked at the inside of your case...that is just like my Barbie case looked back in fifth grade! I'd forgotten.

Thanks for posting this:)

Linda C

nancy said...

A great post! Yes, your son is an amazing person. He is so very special.
I'm just trying to remember "Tammy". She wasn't a Mattel Barbie character, was she?
WILL YOU PLEASE send me your address. I have a box with your name on it sitting near my front door since way before Christmas. Your PIF.
Love,
Nancy

Kelli said...

Oh that is such a sweet surprise, Linda! You are blessed!
Hugs,
Kelli