Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Old Fashioned Oatmeal Cookies

This is my very favorite recipe for oatmeal cookies. The secret to these great cookies is to use REAL butter. They are very soft, chewey, and buttery! Serve with a tall glass of cold milk. These may be Santa's favorite!

Old Fashioned Oatmeal Cookies
1 cup of butter softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 egg
1/4 c. water
1 tea. vanilla extract (use the real stuff, not imitation)
1 1/2 cups self rising flour
1/2 tea. cinnamon
1/2 tea. nutmeg
3 cups quick cooking oats, uncooked
1 c. chopped nuts (optional, I don't like nuts in cookies)
Cream butter; gradually add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add the egg, continue beating and add the water and vanilla. Mix well.
Combine flour and spices and add to the creamed mixture, mixing well. Stir in oatmeal and nuts.
Drop by rounded teaspoons onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Do not grease the paper! Bake at 350 for about 10 - 12 minutes. Cool slightly and remove to wire racks to cool. Makes about 6 dozen.
Can I tell you just how much I love parchment paper? The cookies don't stick, and there is no clean-up. Your pans stay perfectly clean! Do get some, you'll be glad you did!
Blessings
Linda

3 comments:

Shakerwood said...

Honestly....how can anyone bake without real butter?? I think it's illegal in the South.

GlorV1 said...

Those cookies look delicious and yes you do have to have real butter for baking. Everytime I visit your blog, the colorful balls just make me want to dance. Have a great Tuesday.

Bovey Belle said...

I think I'll make some of these today - they look scrummy!