Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Anyone for some turnips and spinach?



LOL! I have found out that most people do not like turnips. When I was growing up I didn't like them either, except raw. My great aunt would cook them down to mush then cream them. Yuck!. However, when I got married my mother in law fixed them in her pressure cooker with potatoes and beef and I loved them. I do the same thing except I use chicken broth for flavor instead of beef. I also know that most people do not grow turnips in the spring. Turnips are usually grown in the fall, but one year I had some extra seed left and so I just went ahead and planted them when I planted my radishes and guess what? They grew just fine, so now I grow them every spring and every fall!

This is my first year growing spinach as I am not a big fan. However, Yngwie and Dear Husband love it so I gave it a try and it did fabulous! Last night I made spinach salads and everything in them I grew! The spinach, the onions, the broccoli. (Well I didn't grow the bacon!) No preservatives, no chemicals, just totally natural food. I really get a feeling of achievement when I can feed my family with foods that I grow.



This year I have started an herb garden. Notice that nothing is growing on one side? I don't know why! I planted those herbs are the same time and nothing came up. So I have replanted the parsley, and oregano, and some nasturiums with hopes that this time I'll have some success.



I started this blog as a sewing blog and I really do sew. Just not very much in the summer unless it rains or late at night. This weekend when a storm blew up for about an hour, I went in and made this tote. It is made from a dish towel that my grandmother gave me. She has no idea where she got it, she found it in one of her trunks. I added a little sparkle with the trim at the top. I really like how it turned out. I try and keep things like this on hand for quick gifts.



5 comments:

Carole Burant said...

I didn't like turnip until I was married and started to cook it myself! We have a large veggie garden (not planted yet for this year! lol) so I know what you mean about the feeling of accomplishment when you can serve all fresh produce that you grew yourself:-) Love that tote bag...I never would have thought of using a tea towel!! It really is adorable! xox

The French Nest said...

Love, love, love that tote bag! I admire your skill for sewing - it is always something I have wanted to take up but had very little talent (and patience!) for!

Maggie Ann said...

Oh thats lovely! So cheerful and summery...

Lori said...

Those salads look yummy!

I also love the tote bag! You are so talented.

Jodi said...

lol ~ I actually do like mashed turnip. But I also love them roasted with other veggies (more of a fall/winter dish). I don't think I've ever put them in a salad raw; that sounds good! Spinach is one of favorites fresh from the garden.

Hubby and I love to garden together, but we finally decided not to put one in this year. This being our first summer in this house, we'd have to completely break and prepare the ground. We just have so many other things clamoring for our attention right now. Next year . . .

Of course, I have tucked a tomato plant in here and there around the yard. :o)