Friday, May 25, 2007

Friday Show and Tell

Kelli over at http://kellishouse.blogspot.com is having Friday Show and Tell. This week I would like to show you my favorite clock.

This clock used to belong to the sister of the lady who babysat me while my parents worked. The clock is very heavy and is black with bronze trim. But what I love most about the clock is the little bronze sculpture on top. If you look very carefully you will see that it is of two little boys fighting over a basket of puppies!

Everytime my baby sitter took me to her sister's ( we called her Aunt Shirley) house I would sit and stare at this clock, inventing all kinds of stories about the boys on the top while eating her homemade bread and hot dogs she would always give me when I was there.

Several years after Aunt Shirley passed away her husband remarried and held an auction sale to get rid of some of his stuff. I went to the auction and was able to purchase this clock and it has had a place of honor in my home every since!

We have huge Memorial Day plans for this long weekend including cookouts, birthday parties, boating, and the Festival in the Park in the nearby city. We will be going to see Pure Prairie League on Sunday afternoon. (remember them?). Everyone have a blessed weekend and be safe!

Linda

23 comments:

Kim said...

What a great memory!! I love items that evoke memories like that!

charish said...

What a neat story and it is great you were able to get it.
Sarah

Tracy said...

It looks very heavy!

I remember inventing stories at my grandma's house while staring at her statues.

Jenn4Him said...

Lovely clock. Have a great weekend!

Trella said...

Wow! What sweet memories, and what a treasure to have.

Have a great weekend,
Trella

Susan said...

Oh what a goreous clock. It looks heavy. The story with it makes it even more special. Thanks for sharing.
Susan

Kelli said...

What wonderful memories about time at your Aunt Shirley's house! The clock is beautiful and I'm so glad you were able to get it at the auction!
Have a wonderful weekend!
Kelli

Tammy said...

Now, I'm thinking a hot dog would be nice for lunch...teehee!!
Thanks for stopping by my blog for S&T Friday...it was my first ever!
The clock is really neat and it was meant to be that you had it as you admired it so!
Have a happy and safe weekend!
:)

Sandra said...

What a wonderful story, love it :)

Susie said...

I loved your show and tell. My Grandpa was a clock collector and when his home was sold each family member selected their favorite.
Thanks so much for visiting me today.
Please come by again anytime!
:)

Trudi said...

Have a great weekend. Our weather is gloomy right now and we want to go boating. Oh well, we need the rain. Happy Memorial Weekend and thank you for stoping by Trinkets and Treasures.

Lyndy said...

What a great story. I am so glad you were able to get the clock. What special memories it hold for you.

Sharon said...

What a neat clock! It's great that you were able to purchase it!

Barbara H. said...

It is no neat to have something we loved from childhood! That is a pretty clock.

Barbara H. @ Stray Thoughts

dot said...

A beautiful and very unusual clock!

Cheryl said...

Wonderful old clock!...I collect clocks :-) The only time I truely regret collecting clocks is when I have to change the time on all of them...I still have one over my computer desk showing the wRoNg time lol.. other than that..I LOVE them!

Unknown said...

Wow, I love that story. What a very special piece to have in your home. I think things that bring us back to fond memories are wonderful to surround ourselves with.

Myrna said...

How neat to have the clock from your childhood! It is very unique.

Carole Burant said...

Oh wow, what a gorgeous clock and like you, I just love the little statue at the top! It's wonderful that you now own the clock after you remember it so well from years gone by. Happy Memorial Day to you:-) xo

HsKubes said...

Aw, what a sweet memory. The clock is beautiful. Thank you for sharing the story behind it.
Thank you, too, for visiting my show and tell. I, too, have the dough girl, but didn't get her until later in life.
Enjoy your busy weekend!
~ Christina

Lori said...

That clock is neat!

You have a wonderful Memorial weekend! Sounds like you have some fun plans. We hope to get out and do some fun things outside, but I don't know if the weather is going to cooperate.

The Tiquehunters Wife said...

I love to hear about treasures that have a special story to them! Your clock is very unique, a real beauty!
Thanks for stopping by the cabin and have a great weekend! Blessings to you! Claudia O.

Jodi said...

Linda ~ your clock is darling! How wonderful that you were able to purchase it at that auction. It's interesting how things that capture our attention as children, continue to bring such pleasure to us as adults. Thank you for sharing! :o)