Monday, January 07, 2008

How happy are you right now?


I have been reading the book "Simple Abundance- A Daybook of Comfort and Joy" by
Sarah Ban Breathnach and have found it is very thought provoking, especially todays thought. How Happy are You Right Now?

I decided to list 10 things that make me happy in one minute. I was very surprised how easy this was and even more surprised that my list didn't contain anything "material".

1- A smile on my husband or son's face

2- A family gathering (that is not for a funeral)

3- The "belly laugh" of a baby

4- Warm spring days

5- The smell of the library

6- The smell of fresh baked bread

7- The sound of frogs chirpping in the spring

8 - An unexpected call or card from a long ago friend

9- Flowers blooming in the spring that I forgot I had planted

10- Knowing that I will be reunited in Heaven with my loved ones who have passed on, when my time on Earth in done.
Pretty simple. Just like me. I know people who are never happy. I can't imagine living like that. I have had my share of grief and tragedy in my life, but through it all I have kept my faith. I guess that would be the number one thing that makes me happy. Faith.
My challenge to you is to do the same thing. In one minute, write down 10 things that make you happy. Bet you'll be surprised!
Have a great day
Linda

9 comments:

Tamara B. said...

That's a neat idea, I might have to try that. I always try to think about the things I'm thankful for from the day before I go to bed. Makes you feel better after a trying day with 2 toddlers. :0)

nancy said...

Linda, I am going to do it! a good exercise in "counting your blessings", too. Doing it in a very short time gives the answers great credibility. Your #'s 5, 9 and 10 could be on my list. I'm not sure I would have thought of them. Great Post today! I'm glad you visited the herbals. Please check in the comments to see a message for you.
Nancy

nancy said...

Linda, I am going to do it! a good exercise in "counting your blessings", too. Doing it in a very short time gives the answers great credibility. Your #'s 5, 9 and 10 could be on my list. I'm not sure I would have thought of them. Great Post today! I'm glad you visited the herbals. Please check in the comments to see a message for you.
Nancy

Donna Gotlib said...

1. having picnics in bed and watching movies with my husband on Friday nights
2. hearing rain in the middle of the night when I am half asleep
3. having my 6'4" husband pat me on the head and call me "little cookie"
4. hearing trains in the early morning because they remind me of my Mama.
5. unexpected phone calls from my baby sister, Ann.
6. unexpected e-mails from my favorite childhood friend, Mary Esther
7. cinnamon toast
8. hearing my Mother sing God's Beautiful World
9. hearts
10. making art

Thanks for your post. I hope you don't mind that I played along. It was fun. I love your blog!
-cookie

Janice said...

Hi Linda,
What a wonderful idea! This is like counting your blessings in one minute! I'm going to do this too! Thanks for sharing. :o)

Andrea said...

We do have a lot to be thankful for and take too much for granted. Family gatherings without a funeral is at the top of my list. So sad many families only gather at times like a funeral....if you can even get them all together then.

nancy said...

LInda,
I waited a day and then did it off the top of my head. Here's what I chose.
being creative
cuddling with my grandchildren
ice cream
praise and worship
letters from friends
revelations from God
growing things
wide open spaces with trees
my children
learning

I'm sorry about the double post. Don't know how THAT happened!
Nancy

Kelli said...

I really love that book, Linda. What a great post and a wonderful list too.
Hugs,
Kelli

Beach Girl said...

I used to keep a journal and would list 5 things at bed time that I was thankful for that day. I got out of the habit when I went away for a week and forgot to take it. Time to get back into it!

I think right now I'm thankful that my move to VA is almost over, at least on this end!

Vanessa