Friday, January 06, 2012

Only 74 more days until Spring!

It's only January 6th and I have spring fever!  I must say that I really dislike winter.  I like the "look" of snow but dislike having to navigate to work through it.  I work at a presort mailing company so the mail "has" to go out no matter what.  We have never closed for snow in the almost 17 years I have worked here.

But there are some fun things to do to get through the winter doldrums and one of them is planning that perfect garden you will have in the spring.  I have been gardening since I was about 5 years old and live for those seed catalogs that start filling your mailbox in late December and January. 

My favorite seed company is Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds you can find them here Baker Creek Heirloom seeds

Their catalog is the most beautiful seed catalog I have ever gotten!  I save them from year to year just for the photos!  The variety of seeds they offer is overwhelming!  They are all pure seeds with no GMO's and are not hybrids so the taste of these vegetables is so much better than the frankenfood that we get at the grocers.

Every year I start circling everything I want in the catalog, which is pretty much everything, so then I have to start paring down my list because as inexpensive as their seeds are, when you want everything in the book like I do, it gets rather expensive. 

This year here are a few of the things I am looking forward to growing:

Cosmic Purple Carrot!  Purple carrots!! Get out!  I can't wait to see these!

Edrine Purple Striped Eggplant!  I really don't care too much for eating eggplant, however I LOVE to see them grow.  Such a pretty plant and I know lots of people who do eat eggplant, so they aren't wasted.
Striped Roman Tomato.  This looks more like a pepper than a tomato and I can't wait to see how they look in my garden.
Amish Paste Tomato.  I grew these last year and they are amazing!   Not only are they very prolific they taste so good and make the best canned tomatoes.

Feverfew.  This will be the first time I try this.  I have acute migraines (2-3 per week) and I have read where feverfew could help them.  I have the instructions for making tea from the leaves of this plant and hope it will help.  I do take medication for them and 99% of the time I am able to stop them when they start but I am hoping for a more natural way to have less headaches.  Maybe this will work.

Of course this is just a drop in the bucket of what I ordered.  Can't wait to get my seeds and start planning out that perfect garden with no weeds and no pests!  Only in my dreams!

Have a great weekend!

Linda


5 comments:

BucksCountyFolkArt said...

Hi Linda!

Thanks for stopping by and for your sweet comments on my 24+ year old drawings! Just like you wish you could draw, I wish I could sew!! I'm all twisted, frustrated fingers when I pick up a needle and thread. Best we can do is be grateful for the gifts we're given, while encouraging and admiring the gifts of others. I know, better said than done!!

Jill

Ann said...

Linda, Thank you for stopping by my little corner of oz and leaving a sweet comment. You and I have so much in common, I also sew and make fedora hats. You can see some of them on previous post. I love to garden and scrapbook too. I am now a new follower. Can't wait to see all the seedlings come up.
Ann

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Thanks for the "help" with the curtains and for the visit. I think the cottage ones for winter and then the sheers for summer!
Love the cover of the seed catalog.
Deb

TinaTx said...

I'm anxious to see how the feverfew works for you. I suffer from migraines too and am always willing to try something new!
I have a friend that grows eggplant every year because she likes to watch it grow - she doesn't eat it either!
Good luck with your garden.

Texan said...

Baker Creek one of my favorite seed companies!