Monday, August 20, 2012

Smith Mountain Lake-My Hometown

1980- The year I married my very best friend in the world and the year that I moved to Smith Mountain Lake.  Land given to us as a wedding gift from Dear Husbands parents to someday build our dream home on.  For the first 7 years we lived there in a mobile home, saving, scrimping and dreaming..... 
Smith Mountain Lake, which was started in 1960 and finally filled in 1966, is a man made lake consisting of over 500 miles of shoreline and bordering 3 counties.  My own great-grandparents farm was sold to make way for the lake.  My Great Aunt remembers standing and watching the lake fill up over where their house was and watching the watermelons float down the river.  Many, many peoples farms were taken for this development.  The lake was certainly bittersweet for many.
AEP owns the lake and the dam is  used for electricity to all the surrounding counties.

As for me and my beloved, we finally built that dream house in 1987.  It's the white one in the middle of the field.   That used to be a cow pasture!  We have now bought all the land from his mom that goes all the way to the shoreline.  Maybe one day we will build a smaller home closer to the shore.

Lot's of fishing, swimming, boating, and skiing go on around our house in the summer and that is what I tried to capture with my Hometown Tag swap hosted by Tammy

Fun in the Sun!

 
They have been mailed today!  Can't wait to see everyone else's tags!  I love tag swaps!

Hope everyone had a great weekend.  I ended up in urgent care with another migraine.  I am now on steroids to see if they can be stopped long enough to get on another preventive plan.  I have a Dr. appointment today.  Please say a little prayer that something will be found to keep these migraines away!  It's hard to stay positive when nothing seems to be working, but I know God has a plan and we will figure it out!

Blessings

Linda

10 comments:

My Vintage Mending said...

I do hope you get some relief soon. I have been waking up with them witch is new to me. Love your home and the lake. I think you would have a hard tim e getting me to get off the dock. Those tags are darling...smiles...Renee

craftyles said...

What a beautiful spot for your dream home. How fun living at a lake. I'm sending you a hug and hope you can get some relief soon from your headaches.

Musings from Kim K. said...

Hoping you find some answers and relief for migranes. Your tags are just lovely. Such a beautiful place to live.

Tammy's in Love said...

Ut oh! I peeked! CUTE TAGS! Home Sweet Home...take in that beautiful view and relax those headaches away.

Nan said...

Love the story and photo of your farm, yes a cottage down near the shore would be fun someday!
Love the tag it really reflects the area. Hope they find something to help put this puzzle together as to what causes those migraines.

Shirley Hatfield said...

I loved the story of your home town. They are so dear to our hearts. Every morning when I see the sun hit the tops of the mountains I say a little prayer of thanksgiving for the blessing of living in their protective shadows. This tag swap is a blessing in disquise...we get to see our friends' hometowns through their eyes. Your tags are wonderful, Linda. I am almost done with mine...can't wait to see them all! =D

Chenille Cottage said...

Hi Linda,
How nice it was this morning to find your lovely comment. I had to laugh about your youngest great niece and her dislike for wearing clothes. My three yer old grandson is the same way...He continues to "streak" on a daily basis!
Your home is lovely...Oh, what a peaceful setting!
I'm sorry that you are suffering with migraines. These are the times that we hold onto God's hand...ever so tightly!
I pray you have nice week,
Blessings,
Carolynn

Unknown said...

Linda, This was the sweetest post. I hung on every single word! You didn't say what state this is in. It is so very beautiful! Your tags are charming in every way, and I can't wait to get mine! Good luck at the doctors. I hope all our prayers are with them! Elizabeth

Celestial Charms said...

Hi Linda,
Thanks for stopping by my little world today, I truly appreciated your visit. Your "hometown" tags came out beautifully, and your home and surroundings are stunning. Best of luck with the migraines...as a fellow sufferer, I feel your pain. I'll be saying a few prayers for your relief.
Maureen

GardenOfDaisies said...

Sorry that you are still having trouble with those awful migraines! Hope you find relief soon. Your memories of starting off married life at the lake are sweet. It must have been hard for the people who had to say goodbye to their farms when that lake was created, though. My Grandmother once told me that the area where she had grown up (In the Ozarks) was now under a lake. But she didn't live there any longer. She and my Grandfather moved to another part of the country after they got married.