Monday, January 27, 2014

Vintage Recipe Monday! Dutch Apple Cake

Good Monday Morning!  It is bright and sunny and as sad as this is, 31 degrees feels warm! 

I hope everyone had a great weekend.  I got a lot of laundry and cleaning done.  Fun stuff, right?

This weeks recipe comes to us from "Aunt Jenny's Favorite Recipes"  This little booklet was published by the Spry shortening company in what looks like the mid 1940's.  The Spry shortening company started in 1936 and was Crisco's largest competitor.  Unfortunately, Spry in no longer in business but their name lives on with these Aunt Jenny Booklets that were published.


I decided to make the Dutch Apple Cake.
2 cups sifted flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup Spry
1 egg, well beaten
3 tablespoons Spry
1 tablespoon butter
3/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon milk
2 cups of apples, sliced
Of course since I couldn't get Spry I had to use Crisco, their competitor.  I felt like a traitor.
Sift flour with baking powder, sugar and salt.  Cut in 1/4 cup Spry until mixture is as fine as meal.
I suggest you use the prettiest sifter you have.
As for cutting in, if you don't have the pastry blender from Pampered Chef, find someone who is selling it and buy it pronto.  It is the best!
 
Combine beaten egg and milk and add to the flour mixture, mixing to a soft dough.  (I added a teaspoon of vanilla too)  Melt 3 tablespoons Spry and butter together; add brown sugar, cinnamon and milk and mix well.  Pour into an 8x8x2 pan greased with Spry.
(I don't have an 8x8x2 pan so I used my cast iron skillet!)
Press apple slices into mixture in circles.  Spread dough over apples.  Bake in a moderate over (350) for about 45 minutes
I made a mess putting the batter in, but in the end it didn't matter.
Turn upside down onto a platter.
I used this old one with a photo of the capital of Virginia on it.  I suggest you find one similar for your state.
Look at the deliciousness! 
This cake is more like a coffee cake.  It is very light and the butter and brown sugar make a caramel that makes this taste like a caramel apple, only easier.  This was certainly a hit at our house and I will use this recipe again.  Thanks Aunt Jenny for such a delicious recipe.
 
Hope everyone has a great Monday!
 
Blessings
 
Linda
 

7 comments:

Tammy's in Love said...

Hello Bo!

That cake would be might good with some caramel Dunkin' Donuts coffee! It was -19 in Mpls this morning; the church office is closed so I was working at my kitchen table all morning. Time out for lunch. Hope it's warmer in VA; this Polar Vortex is gettin' old!

Tammy's in Love said...

Hello Bo!

That cake would be might good with some caramel Dunkin' Donuts coffee! It was -19 in Mpls this morning; the church office is closed so I was working at my kitchen table all morning. Time out for lunch. Hope it's warmer in VA; this Polar Vortex is gettin' old!

~Damita's Pretty Wrap~ said...

Yum!! That looks delicious!! Thanks for sharing and love that you're using your pretty sifter! :) Happy new week! xo Holly

Musings from Kim K. said...

Looks absolutely delicious. I love that you used a flour sifter too.

Elizabeth Jack said...

This looks so good, yum!

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Linda, this looks just so yummy! And of course that sweet sifter made it even more special. I'm smiling because guess who recently found a similar plate of S.L.C. at an estate sale? Yup, that would be moi! Thanks for sharing with SYC. Pinning
hugs,
Jann

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Hi Linda, just hopping back to let you know that I will be featuring you today a SYC.
hugs,
Jann