Monday, March 26, 2012

Easter Cream Cheese Sugar Cookies

Good Moday Morning everyone!
After a somewhat miserable weekend weather wise, we are having another lovely spring day here in SW Virginia.
In some of the areas surrounding where I live, golf ball sized hail fell this weekend and accumulated up to 4 inches!  What a huge mess it made.  We were very fortunate that we only got heavy rain from the storm system.

When the weather is nasty out I always find myself wanting to bake.  One of my favorite cookies is the Cream Cheese Sugar Cookie.  I started making these not long after I got married and they are soooo much better than a plain sugar cookie.  The cream cheese makes them so light and the almond flavoring is just delicious. 


Cream Cheese Sugar Cookies:
Ingredients
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
Directions
1.     In a large bowl, combine the sugar, butter, cream cheese, salt, almond and vanilla extracts, and egg yolk. Beat until smooth. Stir in flour until well blended. Chill the dough for 3 hours, or overnight.
2.     Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
3.     On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough 1/3 at a time to 1/8 inch thickness, refrigerating remaining dough until ready to use. Cut into desired shapes with lightly floured cookie cutters. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Leave cookies plain for frosting, or brush with slightly beaten egg white and sprinkle with candy sprinkles or colored sugar.
4.     Bake for 7 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until light and golden brown. Cool cookies completely before frosting.
The only change I make is to use the whole egg and not just the yolk since I wasn't going to use the egg white for a wash for sprinkles.  For the decorater frosting, I use the directions on the can of Wilton's Meringue Powder.
Give them a try.  You'll be glad you did!
Blessings
Linda

2 comments:

Debby said...

They look yummy. I like how you decorated them as well. Happy MOnday.

Mosaic Magpie said...

I have had these cookies before and they are great! I have been on a low carb diet since October and these cookies are the first sweet thing, I have seriously considered breaking my diet over....I will not look at that photo again, I will not look at that photo again....
Deb