Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Reminising about my Favorite Toy

The other day my sister and I were talking about how much fun we used to have on a toy that we called "those yellow things".  They do have a name.  They were called "The Swervey, Curvy, Topsy, Turvy, Tipsy, Skipsy,  Doodle".  Yeah, that's why we called them those yellow things!  I don't think anyone ever took a picture of us with ours, but after digging around on the Internet, I finally came up with a couple images of them.
Ours looked just like this one! 

We used them for everything!  We watched T.V. sitting in them, we used them as a teeter totter, they would slide down the hill in the snow like a sled, they floated and we would play with them in the lake.  We also would slide down the hill in the leaves in the hall on them.  I had no idea they came in other colors other than yellow until I found the above ad.
I will never forget the day we got them.  Our grandparents surprised us with a week day visit, which was very unusual because they lived almost 3 hours away.  Grandaddy came walking up the sidewalk carrying these things and I was giddy with excitement because I just knew they were us!  And they were!! 
We played with those yellow things for years and I think they were finally thrown away when Dad remarried and sold our house after we were grown.  Wonder if today's kid's would find them so entertaining?  Hmmm.....
On an entirely different subject, I am reluctantly telling everyone to check out Imagimeri's blog for a wonderful giveaway! ( I wanted to be the only one to enter!)
Have a great hump day!
Linda

9 comments:

Shirley Hatfield said...

Hi, Linda. When did those come out? I have no memory of them...yet the ads are definitely in the 60s to 70s. I wonder if they were popular when we lived out of the country? I know my younger siblings would have loved those. =D

Anonymous said...

Mine was blue and my sister had a red one. Loved it!! Probably got it in the late 60's (born in 64).

Unknown said...

I was in the original commercial when I was 5 or 6 years old now I'm 64 for skipsy doodle toys! II'm trying to find a copy of that commercial if you or anybody you know could help me if he greatly appreciated

Unknown said...

I never had one nut wanted one badly!. It was Christmas and I was with my parents in JC Penney purchasing our first artificial tree. While 5hey were doing that, there was a Swervy Curvy toy in the toy aisle that we were allowed to play on. I played on that thing while my parents were getting their tree from the catalog pick-Up area. I never got one, but I always hoped I would, yet that one night of play, stays in my memories always. I am 61!

Anonymous said...

I entered a comment on here earlier but I failed to give my name and email address if anybody can ever help me find a copy of that commercial that I was in It would be really appreciated!
mark_callahan@aol.com

Anonymous said...

I used mine all of those ways too, also rocked side to side, used it as a sliding board & wore it as a Captain Crunch hat, lol

Anonymous said...

I had a blue one and enjoyed launching my younger siblings into the air with it. The only disappointed was that it didn't make for a good snow sled. Too top heavy and a center hole at the bottom caused it to accumulate snow and drag.

Anonymous said...

I have to say this was one of the best toys ever! I am now 58 with a twin sister and 3 older siblings close in age. We all remember this toy well but we also fought over it. Lol! Our father got so frustrated with our fighting over it that he threatened to saw it in half, thankfully that never happened. Best toy ever.

Anonymous said...

Loved your post. I was looking for evidence of this for years. We had one too. It was so much fun. We would put a broom stick in the center hole, throw a sheet on top of the stick and make really great tents.