Monday, June 11, 2012

How Does Your Garden Grow??

Good morning everyone!  What an absolutely beautiful weekend we have in SW Virginia.  The sun shone bright and while it was very warm, there was no humidity!   So I spent most of the weekend outdoors.

I love to garden!  do you?  Especially vegetable gardening.  I was raised in a family of gardeners.  My parents, grandparents (both sides) and my great aunt and uncle, all had gardens that I loved to "work" in.   As a matter of fact once I started driving myself, at 16, I would drive the 2 1/2 hours to my grandparents just to help Granddaddy in the garden...

This is a corner shot of my vegetable garden..  I am growing potatoes this year for the first time.  They take up so much room I never grew them before.   

Green beans, beets, cabbage, peppers, cucumbers, eggplant, okra, radishes, lettuce, spinach, and onions!

Onions are my specialty!

I grow mine on top of the ground just like my Uncle Pete taught me too.  He said onions and people should never be crowded. 

This particular onion became onion rings at the hand of my Dear Son yesterday.  They were delicious!

And tomatoes!!!  I have 70 tomato plants in my garden, all started from seed in my greenhouse.  Most of the them are heirloom, some are yellow, some are striped and some are pink, but most are red.
So this is the reason I haven't been doing much crafting lately.  But guess what??  It's supposed to be raining for the next 2 days so hopefully I will get the purse finished that I started last week!

Happy Monday!

Linda


6 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, you have a beautiful, ambitious garden! I love the advise for planting onions! Wish I could grow tomatoes from seeds. Thank you for sharing, Dorothy

craftyles said...

What a great garden. Loved the post about your Dad's birthday too. Your son is a cutie and looks just like you!

Unknown said...

Fantastic garden! I have to say I never ever thought I would get into gardening but since moving to a house with a garden it has grown on me. Now I love spending time outside (weather allowing). I'm not a proficient grower yet, still learning what to plant and how.

Mountain Mama said...

Your garden is beautiful and your soil must be great too. It has been too cool here in the Pacific Northwest and gardens are struggling. Amazing that the weeds do so well! I have been gardening since I was about 6 when I used to help my mom in hers. Getting older has made it difficult because of the aches and pains but I still try.

Nan said...

I missed this garden post. My gosh this is so lovely, you people in VA sure had a lovely looking yards and your soil must be so good for growing things. I'm wondering if you sell produce you could not possibly eat that many tomatoes, onions or potatoes. And to think it's too cold even in the house this summer here to grow tomatoes I'm not even trying as they get so messy inside. Nan

Lynn said...

Hi Linda,
So Sorry to hear about your migraine pain!! I am plaqued with chronic back pain after 6 back surgeries so I know pain is no fun!!
If you don't mind sharing, hubby and I would love to know how to grow onions like you do! We just started a garden this year!! We discovered last summer that hubby has the green thumb in our family. so, he has been busy planting lots of beautiful flowers for me and making the most lovely of landscaping for me. We could use all the tips on gardening that we can get. We planted tomatoes from seeds, cucumbers, beans, two pepper plants, watermellon, and pumpkins, also corn! Every thing is coming up nicely but we started late, but it is ok I think! Thank you for the awesome pictures and stories.
Hugs,
Lynn