Monday, July 28, 2008

Busy, Busy as a bean, I mean bee

I stayed home almost all weekend because I had that wonderful eye problem called "pink eye"(conjunctivitis)! I thought I had just gotten something in it, but alas, it was pink eye. So early Saturday morning I went out in the garden and weeded a little, pulled a few ripe tomatoes, cucumbers, and peppers and then decided to pick the beans.
My garden is not too big. It's about 50x50 and I had planted two rows of blue lake green beans. The vines were full! I wish I had taken a picture. Anyway, I spent Saturday canning green beans. 21 quarts of them! There are still beans on the vine!
My flowers are still blooming despite getting little water. This tiger lilly grew to about 5' tall this year.

Our cat Midnight had decided that this garden bench under the sunflowers is her own special place. I have a feeling it is due to the amount of birds who visit the sunflower! My cat is very good at keeping the birds from eating my flowers.

By yesterday evening my eye was much better so I went to the nursing home to see my Grandmother who is 96. For any of you who have been following my story with her, she fell back in April and broke her hip, had a hip replacement and has been in the nursing home/rehab since. She has been steadily declining in her mental capacity. She doesn't always know who we are or what day it is, and imagines all manner of things. But yesterday I took her about 20 photos of my flowers in my garden and she spit out the names of the flowers like a pro! I decorated her bulletin board with the pictures because she liked them so well.
Hope everyone has a blessed day!
Linda

6 comments:

Susie said...

Hi Linda,
You'll really enjoy the fresh taste of the home canned beans in the winter months. Such a big job though..
Sorry to hear of your Grandma's decline, but wasn't it wonderful that she could remember all the names of the flowers!

A Hint of Home said...

There's nothing better than canned green beans. They look inviting.

Muum said...

good job with the beans! that is a lotof work. I picked beans this morning, but only enough for dinner tonight. now, what to do w/ all the zucchini that jumped into my bowl, too? thanks for visiting my blog last week for shown' tell

Libby said...

Oh boy - I do hope I can salvage enough beans to put some up, too. Yours look so happy in their jars *s* I'm so glad to hear that your grandma loved to garden photos - a great way to bring some happy color into her day!

Kelli said...

How wonderful that Grandma remembers the names of the flowers! I'll bet her bulletin board looks lovely. I'm sorry to hear about your pink eye...ouch! I hope it heals up quickly. You've been busy in the garden and kitchen. Your green beans look delicious!
~Kelli

Anonymous said...

Oh yum, canned green beans! One of my Grandma's biggies and my favs, that and red beets! I so miss going back to my grandma's pantry to pick out some of her canned goods!!
Enjoy!
Shayne Louree