Monday, November 12, 2007

Planning Thanksgiving!

Kelli is hosting Giving Thanks. It can be a story, recipe, Craft idea, etc...Anything to do with Thanksgiving.

We are having Thanksgiving at our house this year. I can't hardly wait! I have already started buying the non-persishables. Our menu is pretty typical except for one thing. My son always wants "Coca-Cola Salad". I found this recipe in an old recipe book by Betty Feezor (http://www.bettyfeezorscholarship.com/AboutBetty.htm) My son was probably about three the first time I made it and he loved it! I have made a few changes to the original recipe. This has become a tradition for our family at Thanksgiving. For whatever reason, this is the only time of year I make this. I guess that's why it's special!

Coca-Cola Salad

1 (16 oz) can pitted cherries

1 small can crushed pineapple

2 small boxes cherry jello

12 ozs. Cola

1 (3 oz.) cream cheese

1 cup powdered sugar

Drain the juice from the cherries and pineapple into a bowl, and add enough water to make 1 1/2 cups of liquid. Pour into medium saucepan. Bring to boil and pour over jello. Stir until dissolved then add drained fruit and cola. Chill until set. With electric mixer, mix cream cheese and confectioners sugar until it is a spreadable consistency. You may need to add a little bit of milk, but just a dab. Spread over jello salad. If you like nuts, you could add them when you add the fruit, or you can put them on top of the salad. We prefer ours without.

Blessings

Linda

7 comments:

Mommy said...

This does look very yummy, but I am afraid my husband wouldn't go for it. But if I were invited to your house for Thanksgiving, I sure would love to try it!

Susie said...

This sounds really good. I've never added cola to jello, but have added a clear soda, such as 7up, which kind of makes it sparkly.
Thanks for sharing..

Carole Burant said...

I've never heard of that salad but you know, it does sound delicious!! I can well imagine how much you're looking forward to hosting Thanksgiving dinner this year...makes me want to cross the border just so that I can celebrate Thanksgiving all over again! hehe xox

Kelli said...

The Coca-Cola sounds like such a fun salad! Thank you for the recipe and for joining in this week!

Kelli

The Fairy Godmother said...

We don't do Thanksgiving here in England but I think it is lovely tradition.

Myrna said...

I have had a sald similar to that several years ago. Very yummy!

The "must have" at my house--for any holiday meal is deviled eggs. My sons also like green bean casserole. I think when they were little they thought I invented gb casserole! At least they like htings simple to make!

Lori said...

Your salad sounds good. Thanks for sharing it with us.
May have to try it.